This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near White Springs White Sulphur Springs. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Hamilton County is an excellent example.
White Sulphur Springs
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled White Sulphur Springs “Fountain of Health”, and is located in White Springs in Hamilton County, Florida. The marker is on Spring Street (U.S. 41) west of Bridge Street (State Road 136), on the left when traveling west.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
White Sulphur Springs was once a popular health resort, attracting many people to drink the water and bathe in the spring. This structure encircles a natural spring that was thought to possess great healing qualities. An early advertisement claimed the water cured everything from rheumatism and indigestion to dandruff and insomnia. , Constructed in 1908, the building housed a concession area, clinical examination and treatment rooms, and dressing rooms on either side of the bathing area. Mechanical gates were used to keep the river from entering the bathing pool.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the White Sulphur Springs Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of White Springs
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near White Springs White Sulphur Springs
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.