This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near White Springs The Residents of White Springs. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Hamilton County is an excellent example.
The Residents of White Springs
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled The Residents of White Springs , and is located in White Springs in Hamilton County, Florida. Marker is on Bridge Street (State Road 136) north of River Street, on the right when traveling north.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
The Residents of White Springs. . , Florida’s native Timucuan Indians lived for hundreds of generations in what is now north Florida and southeast Georgia. Beginning in the 1580s, they were organized into mission villages by Spanish Franciscan priests. While exploitation and epidemics caused native populations to decline, the destruction of Spanish missions early in the eighteenth century by the Carolina militia and their Native American allies also caused the scattering and enslavement of the remaining native populations.
Some of these Native Americans raiders remained and settled in the Timucua’s abandoned fields and settlements. Other groups, mainly Creek Indians, left their home territories and relocated in northern Florida. These different tribes, along with runaway slaves from the southern states, became known as the cimarrones, a Spanish word meaning “wild and untamed.” The cimerrones or Seminoles, as they became known, established villages on the east and west sides of the Suwannee River. , After Florida was acquired as a US Territory in 1821, waves of settlers from Georgia and the Carolinas immigrated to north central Florida. While most of the earliest settlers in and around White Springs were subsistence farmers, the timber and phosphate booms also brought a variety of investors and laborers anxious to stake their claim in the growing community.
With the development and marketing of the mineral spring in the mid-1800s as a tourist destination, new residents were also able to invest and find employment in the town’s hotels, restaurants, and service-related businesses. , Today, the residents of White Springs are a combination of recent arrivals and descendants of the original settlers who continue to practice family traditions.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the The Residents of White Springs Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of White Springs
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near White Springs The Residents of White Springs
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.