This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near St. Augustine The Cubo Line. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in St. Johns County is an excellent example.
The Cubo Line
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled The Cubo Line Santo Domingo Redoubt & City Gate , and is located in St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida. Marker is at the intersection of Cordova Street and Orange Street, on the right when traveling south on Cordova Street.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
The Cubo Line. Santo Domingo Redoubt and City Gate. Following the 1702 English siege of St. Augustine, the Spanish began construction of a defensive system to protect the Presidio. The Cubo Line, built-in 1704 to safeguard the town’s northern sector, was the first line of defense the Spanish raised., In the early 18th century, the Spanish in Florida used the medieval term Cubo to describe rounded, pointed or square bastions built into defensive walls. The Cubo Line derived its name from three cubos built into its wall., Throughout the 18th and early 19th centuries, the Spanish in Florida applied the term reducto (redoubt) to cubos built into the defensive walls.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for The Cubo Line
Placed by the City of St. Augustine.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you can see The Cubo Line Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of St. Augustine
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city.
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near St. Augustine The Cubo Line
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.