This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near St. Augustine Santo Domingo Redoubt. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in St. Johns County is an excellent example.
Santo Domingo Redoubt
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Santo Domingo Redoubt Cartography of the Presidio de San Agustin de la Florida , and is located in St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida. Marker is at the intersection of Orange Street and Cordova Street, on the right when traveling west on Orange Street.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
Santo Domingo Redoubt. Cartography of the Presidio de San Agustin de la Florida. Historians and archaeologists consulted Colonial and Territorial Period documents to locate the site of the Santo Domingo Redoubt, which was also referred to at various times as the Tolomato Redoubt., Archeological excavations of the Santo Domingo Redoubt confirmed documentary evidence that the redoubt, constructed in the 1730s, was rebuilt on two separate occasions (1808 and 1834). Excavations have revealed that, unlike the five-sided structures represented on some maps, the 1808 and 1834 redoubts were square in shape.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for Santo Domingo Redoubt
Placed by City of St. Augustine.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the Santo Domingo Redoubt Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of St. Augustine
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near St. Augustine Santo Domingo Redoubt
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.