This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near St. Augustine Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in St. Johns County is an excellent example.
Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution , and is located in St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and St. George Street, on the left when traveling east on King Street.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution. . From the onset of the American Revolution in 1775, the British Crown Colony in East Florida was a Loyalist bastion. In its capital, St. Augustine, the British lodged as prisoners many American Patriots and their French allies. Most of these prisoners were given the liberty of the town, but some were held in Castillo de San Marcos.
A few captives rented quarters, but most of the men were housed in the unfinished State House which stood near this spot. By the end of 1780, these prisoners included three signers of the Declaration of Independence — Thomas Heyward, Jr., Arthur Middleton, and Edward Rutledge. On July 4, 1781, the Patriot captives celebrated Independence Day.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution
Placed by Florida State Society and the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of St. Augustine
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near St. Augustine Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.