This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near St. Augustine Plaza de la Constitución. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in St. Johns County is an excellent example.
Plaza de la Constitución
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Plaza de la Constitución , and is located in St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida. Marker is at the intersection of Cathedral Plaza and St. George Street, on the left when traveling west on Cathedral Plaza.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
Plaza de la Constitución. . , The oldest public space in America, the plaza was laid out by Spanish Royal Ordinances in 1573. Its Constitution Monument may be the only remaining monument in the Western Hemisphere celebrating the Spanish Constitution of 18 12., The Ordinances specified that the plaza was to be laid to the compass points, and in “good proportion” – a prolonged square, the length equal to 1½ times the width. Lengths and widths based on proportional ratios were believed to be imbued with harmony and spiritual meaning., The first system of weights and measures was established with a market here in 1598. Pictured is the Plaza from the early 1900s. Here are markers about Florida’s 67 counties, memorials to Felix Varela, prisoners of the American Revolution, the Confederacy, and soldiers killed in world war two and the Korean and Vietnam wars. A pre-18th century well has been designated an American Water Landmark. The Town Plan and plaza were designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for Plaza de la Constitución
Placed by City of St. Augustine.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the Plaza de la Constitución Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of St. Augustine
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near St. Augustine Plaza de la Constitución
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.