Florida Historical Markers Near St. Augustine Indian Prisoners

Florida Historical Markers Near St. Augustine – Huguenot Cemetery

This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near St. Augustine Huguenot Cemetery. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in St. Johns County is an excellent example.

Huguenot Cemetery

This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Huguenot Cemetery and is located in St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida. The marker is on North Ocean Boulevard (State Road A1A), on the right when traveling south.

Inscription on the Marker

The inscription reads:

Huguenot Cemetery. . Before Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821, and Spain owned this land. In 1807 parcels of land to the north of the city gate were granted to residents interested in farming. However, as a defense measure, Governor Enrique White set out a specified area to guard against foreign incursions. Each grantee was allowed one small thatched palm shack but had no claim against the government in case a shack had to be burned as a military necessity. The land was granted to Jose Barrera who deeded it to Lorenzo Capella in 1819, who sold it to the Reverend Thomas Alexander.,

As a result of a yellow fever epidemic in 1821, the city fathers realized that no place existed to bury non-Catholics. The Tolomato cemetery inside the city gates was barred to non-Catholics. On September 11, 1821, the city council initiated a search for a suitable lot for a “public burial place for all Protestant denominations of Christians.” The city officials received permission from the United States to use half this acre as a public cemetery. A burial fee was established by the city council requiring families of the deceased to pay four dollars to the Municipal Sexton, with the city paying the expenses of the “indigent poor.” The land eventually was in the custody of the Episcopal and Presbyterian congregations., The Reverend Thomas Alexander, the owner of this property, transferred the deed to the Trustees of the Presbyterian Church on January 14, 1832, where it exists to this day.

With the agreement of the Presbyterian Trustees, the Reverend Alexander merely continues the process by maintaining this site. The site would be used for all Protestants, and the Presbyterian Trustees decreed an internment fee of three dollars for residents of St. Augustine and a five-dollar fee for non-residents. At that time, one church collection each month was allocated to defray incidental cemetery expenses., In July of 1884, the city passed an ordinance forbidding further burials in both the Tolomato Cemetery and the Huguenot Cemetery.

Today, the Huguenot Cemetery is administered by volunteers of “Friends of the Huguenot Cemetery, Inc.”, a non-profit, tax-exempt corporation since 1993. With the help of public donations, this historic place continues to be restored and preserved., (Second Plaque): , The name Huguenot has been associated with the cemetery since the 1830s and probably reinforced during the tourist boom at the turn of the century. How the name originated is not known, except that “Huguenot” was synonymous with “non-Catholic” to the people of St. Augustine for many years., The name does not imply that members of the 16th-century French Protestant persuasion are buried on these grounds. The association of Huguenots to St. Augustine is based on an incident in 1565 when Huguenots were slaughtered by the Spanish in a quest by both countries to claim Florida., In the 1950s, cedar trees were planted on the grounds in memory of the French Huguenots who died in 1565.

 

Maps & Location Views

Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.

Sometimes you will be able to see the Huguenot Cemetery Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.

The History of St. Augustine

Florida Historical Markers Near St. Augustine - Huguenot Cemetery

More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.

During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).

In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.

Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city

About the Florida Historical Marker Program

One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.

About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near St. Augustine Huguenot Cemetery

This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.

Leave a ReplyCancel reply