This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near Orlando The Black Bottom House of Prayer. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in is an excellent example.
The Black Bottom House of Prayer
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled The Black Bottom House of Prayer , and is located in Orlando in , Florida. The location is 921 Bentley Street. Marker is at the intersection of Bentley Street and North Westmoreland Drive, on the right when traveling west on Bentley Street.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
The Black Bottom House of Prayer. In the summer of 1916, a few Black families from the Deep South settled in an area of Orlando called the Black Bottom, so named because when it rained, water settled in the area and remained so long that residents built canoes for transportation. As was the custom of the time, the Black families worshiped in neighborhood homes and shared their soul food. In 1925, the Black Bottom House of Prayer was constructed as the home of the Pleasant Hill Colored Methodist Episcopal congregation, later renamed Carter’s Tabernacle CME. It was financed through a stock purchase from the Orange County Building and Loan Association. Thirty shares were purchased at $100 per share, for a total of $3,000. The building was designed in the popular Spanish Mission Style with exterior stucco finish, arched doorways, casement windows, and a red-tiled roof. The thick brick and stucco walls were thought to have a cooling effect in the Florida sun in the days before air conditioning. This church building, used by Justice for All Ministries led by Pastor Dana “Action” Jackson, continued its African American mission through the power of prayer in the 21st century.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for The Black Bottom House of Prayer
Placed by Justice for All Ministries, National ADHD Foundation, Inc., The Byrd Law Group, P.A. and the Florida Department of State.
Installed in 2015.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the The Black Bottom House of Prayer Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of Orlando
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near Orlando The Black Bottom House of Prayer
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.