This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near Orlando Lake Eola Park. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in is an excellent example.
Lake Eola Park
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Lake Eola Park , and is located in Orlando in , Florida. The location is 101 N Rosalind Ave. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Rosalind Avenue and East Washington Street, on the right when traveling north.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
Lake Eola Park. Lake Eola Park is the most historic and widely recognized symbol of the City of Orlando. It was established in 1883 as the City’s first public park after Orlando homesteaders Jacob and Fanny Summerlin donated the Lake and some of the surrounding land to the City. Though formally titled Summerlin Park under terms of the original gift, the Park is most commonly known by its informal name, Lake Eola Park., Eola’s open space was enlarged in 1907 with a gift of land from S. Waters and Georgia L. Howe. In 1914, the Park’s present boundaries were established with property donations from J.P. and Theresa Musselwhite, St. Luke’s Cathedral, E.F. and Mary W. Sperry, C.F. and Jenny E. Grannis, and May W. and Frederick A. Strong. A final parcel was donated in 1956 by Orlando Lodge No. 1079 Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks., The landmark fountain, situated in the middle of Lake Eola, was built by the Orlando Utilities Commission in 1957 at the urging of the Orlando Chamber of Commerce. Dedicated as Centennial Fountain, in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the City’s first settlement, it was renamed the Linton E. Allen memorial Fountain in 1965 to honor one of Orlando’s most prominent business and civic leaders., Other important reminders of Orlando’s history are located within the Park, including a monument in memory of Orlando Reeves, the City’s namesake, located near the site where he died in 1835., One hundred and five years after the Summerlins’ gift, Lake Eola park was redesigned and redeveloped. With its historic elements restored, the Park was rededicated to the people of Orlando by Mayor Bill Frederick on June 30, 1988., Bill Frederick , Mayor, City Commissioners , Glenda E. Hood . Pat Schwartz , Mary L. Johnson . Nap Ford , Jeff B. Clark . Mable Butler.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for Lake Eola Park
Placed by City of Orlando.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the Lake Eola Park Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of Orlando
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near Orlando Lake Eola Park
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.