This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near Orlando John R. Mott House Site. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in is an excellent example.
John R. Mott House Site
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled John R. Mott House Site , and is located in Orlando in , Florida. Marker is at the intersection of North Eola Drive and East Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on North Eola Drive.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
John R. Mott House Site. Built in 1920, the former house at 528 E. Washington Street was once home to Nobel Peace Prize winner John Raleigh Mott (1869-1955). As general secretary of the National War Work Council, a World War I era Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) program, Mott received the Distinguished Service Medal for his relief work for prisoners of war. Mott served as general secretary of the YMCA International Committee from 1915-1928 and president of the YMCA World Committee from 1926-1937. As a leader of many civic and Christian organizations, he traveled abroad and delivered thousands of speeches. He averaged 34 days a year on the ocean for 50 years and crossed the Atlantic over 100 times and the Pacific 14 times. Known to travel plainly, he refused a ticket on the Titanic to sail instead on a less extravagant ship. Mott received honorary degrees from six universities including Yale, Edinburgh, Princeton, and Brown. His numerous international honors, awards, and designations included recognition from China, Czechoslovakia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Poland, Portugal, Siam, Sweden, and the United States. Mott was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1946 for his humanitarian work. (Continued on other side). Reverse:(Continued from other side). John Mott retired to Orlando in 1938 and bought the one-story bungalow at this site. Over the course of his career, Mott wrote sixteen books and delivered thousands of speeches. During his retirement, he compiled volumes of his speeches, letters, and papers. The compilations included correspondence with prominent American and International philanthropists and political and religious leaders. In 1952, Mott’s wife Lelia White died. They had married in 1891 and had four children. After her death, Mott married Agnes Peter, a descendant of Martha Washington. Following his death in Orlando on January 31, 1955, Mott’s family donated his collected works to the Yale Divinity School Library where it fills 230 archival boxes that occupy 95 linear feet of shelf space. These papers provide information and insight regarding individuals and religious movements from 1880-1955. The bungalow Mott lived in was demolished in 2013 to provide additional space for Lake Eola Park. John Mott was interred in St. Joseph’s Chapel of the Washington National Cathedral. He remains locally and internationally renowned for his accomplishments and leadership.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for John R. Mott House Site
Placed by Oscar J. Nollet Family, Commissioner Patty Sheehan, the Van Dusen-Wheeler Family and the Florida Department of State.
Installed in 2016.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the John R. Mott House Site Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of Orlando
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near Orlando John R. Mott House Site
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.