This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near Orlando H. H. Dickson Azalea Park / Washington Street Bridge. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in is an excellent example.
H. H. Dickson Azalea Park / Washington Street Bridge
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled H. H. Dickson Azalea Park / Washington Street Bridge , and is located in Orlando in , Florida. The location is 100 Rosearden Dr. Marker is at the intersection of Rosearden Drive and East Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on Rosearden Drive.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
H. H. Dickson Azalea Park, also, Washington Street Bridge. H. H. Dickson Azalea Park. Dickson Azalea Park began as a natural stream, later named Fern Creek, in a deep ravine surrounded by native ferns, palms, and oaks. It once was a watering hole for cattle herders driving their animals south. State Senator Walter Rose (1888-1958) purchased 40 acres of land here in 1916 and platted most of it for development. He set aside five acres adjacent to the creek for a park, called Senator Rose park, which he deeded to the City of Orlando in 1924. In 1933, the Civitan Club presented the City Council with a proposal to beautify the overgrown park and asked the city to re-name it in honor of Colonel Henry Hill Dickson (1849-1935). An Orlando business pioneer and civic leader, Dickson devoted his energies to the beautification of Orlando, and was instrumental in planting azaleas throughout the city. In 1935, ground was broken for restoration of the overgrown property. Local landscape architect Mulford Foster designed the scheme for the park’s plants, water features, bridges and paths, and Works Progress Administration labor built the park’s walls and steps. Dickson Azalea Park was designated an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1991. A Florida Heritage Site. Reverse: Washington Street Bridge. By 1926, it was clear that the deteriorating wooden bridge over Fern Creek could no longer accommodate vehicular traffic that was increasing daily as Orlando’s development during the Florida land Boom moved farther east. The Orlando City Council decided to replace the wooden structure with a modern, more durable bridge. In July 1926, bids were submitted by several companies. A $10,400 proposal submitted by the Concrete Steel Bridge Company of Miami Beach was selected. Headquartered in New York City, the firm was a recognized leader in construction technology. Orlando City Engineer Morton Hagartney designed the span. The Washington Street Bridge is an especially fine example of a reinforced concrete arch deck bridge. Three 20-foot-long arches form the substructure that support the bridge’s deck, and cantilevered floor beams widen to provide walkways on both sides of the bridge. Urn-shaped balusters set in panels separated by low pilasters and historically-inspired light fixtures on tapered posts give the bridge a classical appearance. The Washington Street Bridge is the only bridge of its kind in the City of Orlando, and was designated a Historic Landmark by the city in 1991. A Florida Heritage Site.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for H. H. Dickson Azalea Park / Washington Street Bridge
Placed by The City of Orlando District 4 Commissioner Parry Sheehan, Girl Scouts of Citrus Council, Orlando Garden Club, Lake Lawsona Fern Creek Historical Neighborhood Association, Eugene & Lois Pawlak & Family, Dr. Howard Green & Family, The Van De Bogert Family, Deborah Kohan, The Magley Family, Robin & Nancy Lewis, Nancy & Walk Jones, Kathy Wickman, Theresa Smith and the Florida Department of State.
Installed in 2014.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the H. H. Dickson Azalea Park / Washington Street Bridge Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of Orlando
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near Orlando H. H. Dickson Azalea Park / Washington Street Bridge
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.