This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near Key West The Little White House. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Monroe County is an excellent example.
The Little White House
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled The Little White House , and is located in Key West in Monroe County, Florida. Marker is on Front Street, on the right when traveling south.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
The Little White House. . Built in 1890 on the waterfront as a two-family dwelling for the base commandant and paymaster, this building was known as Quarters A and B. It was converted into a single-family residence in 1911. President William Howard Taft visited this site in December 1912. Thomas Edison lived here for six months during World War I while inventing 41 new weapons., President Harry S. Truman used this house for 175 days during his administration of 1945-1953. In 1948, the joint chiefs of staff met at this house to create the Department of Defense by merging the Department of War and Department of the Navy., While here the President discussed the Marshall Plan to rebuild Europe, the Truman Doctrine that changed American foreign policy, the recognition of the State of Israel. He wrote his fourth Civil Rights Executive Order requiring federal contractors to hire minorities and he drafted a letter that called for a two-week cease fire in Korea. The reaction of General Douglas MacArthur to this letter led to his dismissal as Allied Commander. President Truman made five post-presidential visits to Key West between 1957 and 1969, each time visiting his former Little White House, but staying in a private residence in town., President Dwight Eisenhower used the house for meetings in 1955 while he recovered from a heart attack., President John F. Kennedy used this site for a summit meeting with British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan in March 1961 just 23 days before the Bay of Pigs., The Navy base was named the Truman Annex in 1973, following the death of President Truman. In 1974, this portion of the base closed. For twelve years the property was abandoned. In 1986, the Truman Annex, including the Little White House, was sold by the government to developer Pritam Singh. On January 1, 1987, Mr. Singh transferred this property to the State of Florida in exchange for certain easements and development rights. It is held in trust by the state for the citizens of the world. Over the next three years, Mr. Singh privately funded and directed the restoration of the building and the grounds to reflect the Truman era. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Drettman funded additional restoration in the 1990s. In 1996, President and Mrs. Jimmy Carter used the house for a family gathering. In 1999, Historic Tours of America entered into agreement with the State of Florida to help continue the restoration and became a major donor and corporate sponsor of the important historic site., On April 2-6, 2001, Secretary of State Colin Powell opened peace talks in this house between the Presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan., In 2005, President Bill and Senator Hillary Clinton used the house as a weekend retreat. President Clinton became our sixth President to relax and enjoy the Little White House as a presidential retreat.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for The Little White House
Placed by Florida Department of State.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the The Little White House Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of Key West
Ponce de Leon found the territory now known as Florida (or “La Florida”) in 1513. That’s what his group came to call Key West, Florida. The southernmost islands of the Florida Keys are known as Los Martires, or the Martyrs, because to the dense and tangled mangroves that line their coasts.
For a long time, the Keys swung between English and Spanish rule, until Florida as a whole was surrendered to the United States in 1819. John Simonton, an American businessman, bought Key West. To determine the viability of Key West, Florida, as a commercial port and military outpost, Lieutenant Matthew C. Perry sent the USS Shark there in 1822. He informed the United States government with news that he took over Key West.
Key West salt production, fishing, sponge farming, cigar making and commerce, and turtle hunting were all common in the city’s factories and enterprises. Due to the dangers of the offshore reefs, salvaging also grew into a significant economic factor.
The southernmost city in the continental United States is Key West. It’s also the furthest island west that can be accessed by automobile in the Florida Keys. Its main drag, Duval Street, stretches from the southern tip of the island in the Gulf of Mexico to the northern tip of the island in the Straits of Florida and the Atlantic Ocean.
Today Key West, Florida is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near Key West The Little White House
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.