This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand The Woman’s Club of DeLand. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
The Woman’s Club of DeLand
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled The Woman’s Club of DeLand, Established in 1906, and is located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The location is 128 West Michigan Avenue. The marker is on West Michigan Avenue, west of North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92), on the left when traveling west.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
The Woman’s Club of DeLand was organized in March 1906 and was incorporated on July 26 of that year with ninety-two charter members. Nearly from its inception, club members wanted to have their own clubhouse. The organization purchased a lot on West Michigan Avenue in 1925. A clubhouse was constructed and dedicated on January 21, 1929. Through the years, the club has supported a multitude of community needs, the first of which was attaining legislation requiring cattle to be fenced. The Woman’s Club of DeLand was instrumental in forming the Junior Woman’s Club of DeLand, the Garden Club of DeLand, and the Twentieth Century Club, all of which began as departments of the club. Now over a hundred years old, the Woman’s Club of DeLand personifies its motto: “The secret of success is constancy to purpose.”
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for The Woman’s Club of DeLand
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the The Woman’s Club of DeLand Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand The Woman’s Club of DeLand
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.