This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand The Opera House. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
The Opera House
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled The Opera House 1910 , and is located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The location is 202 North Woodland Boulevard. Marker is on North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92) north of Rich Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
The Opera House. This corner was the site of DeLand’s first newspaper, The Volusia County Herald, first published on May 10, 1877, by Henry DeLand. It was succeeded in 1878 by The Agriculturalist, edited by Col. C. C. Codrington, Gov. General of the West Indies, who escaped with his family during a native uprising in 1870. With his newspaper, Codrington became essential to developing semi-tropic agriculture in Florida. From these two early newspapers came the E.O. Painter Printing Company, believed to be the oldest continuing printing business in Florida. In 1910 the wood structure was replaced with this brick building, part of which contained the DeLand Opera House, a center for plays and musical entertainment.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for The Opera House
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see The Opera House Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand The Opera House
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.