This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand The First Post Office. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
The First Post Office
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled The First Post Office 1877, located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The location is 105 West Indiana Avenue. The marker is on West Indiana Avenue, west of North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92), on the right when traveling west.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
The First Post Office. According to early sources, the first post office in DeLand was in the rear of the Jordan and Lancaster store on West Indiana Avenue somewhere “between Woodland Boulevard and Florida Avenue.” Dr. G. W. Lancaster, DeLand’s first druggist, was also the first postmaster. In front was a hitching post humorously referred to as “The Buzzard’s Roost.” Folk gathered there in the afternoon to await the mail carrier who brought the mail by buckboard and on foot from the steamboat landing at Cabbage Bluff. The brick buildings that replaced the old wooden structures on this street were largely built around the turn of the 20th century. For nearly seventy years, this building was the site of the Reeve and Howard gift shop.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for The First Post Office
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the The First Post Office Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand The First Post Office
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.