This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand The Athens Theatre. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
The Athens Theatre
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled The Athens Theatre 1922 , and is located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The location is 124 North Florida Avenue. Marker is at the intersection of North Florida Avenue and West Indiana Avenue on North Florida Avenue.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
The Athens Theatre. This historically significant landmark opened in 1922 as a silent film/vaudeville theatre. Once the entertainment centerpiece of the county, the Athens operated continuously for nearly seventy years, changing its programming over time as technology advanced. The theatre was developed by L.M. Patterson, a native of Washington, D.C., who moved to DeLand in 1920 and organized the DeLand Moving Picture Company. Designed by Murray S. King, a prominent Orlando Architect, the theatre was completed in 1921. Music and sound effects were performed on a large Wurlitzer organ. The opening night performance on January 6, 1922 featured the 7-reel silent film, “The Black Panther’s Cub,” a 4-act comic play, and four vaudeville acts.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for The Athens Theatre
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the The Athens Theatre Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand The Athens Theatre
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.