This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand St. John’s Masonic Lodge. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
St. John’s Masonic Lodge
This Florida Historical Marker is St. John’s Masonic Lodge 1925 and is located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The location is 142 South Woodland Boulevard. Marker is at the intersection of South Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92) and Howry Avenue, on the right, when traveling south on South Woodland Boulevard.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
St. John’s Masonic Lodge. This building was the St. John’s Masonic Lodge #7. The cornerstone, containing the membership rolls of the Masonic bodies in DeLand, was laid on Sept. 14, 1925. Designed by local architects Carpenter and Bent, the lower floor originally accommodated a lobby, fireplace, and five stores. The second floor contained parlors and a large banquet room, and the third floor contained the lodge rooms. The oblong white openings on the top floor allowed ventilation but obscured from onlookers the meeting room of the Masons. The Florida Motor Lines moved its DeLand office onto the ground floor in 1926.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for St. John’s Masonic Lodge
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the St. John’s Masonic Lodge Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand St. John’s Masonic Lodge
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.