This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand Miller-Fish Building. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Miller-Fish Building circa 1887 , and is located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The location is 100 North Woodland Boulevard. Marker is at the intersection of North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92) and New York Avenue (State Road 44), on the right when traveling south on North Woodland Boulevard.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
Miller-Fish Building. Circa 1887. In this block, early settler Charles A Miller owned a hay and grain store, livery stable, and buggy and carriage shop. All fell to the flames of the 1886 fire. Miller was among the first to rebuild, erecting the two-story brick building you see today. Here, he operated a dry goods store and served as the agent for the Clyde Steamship Company. In 1899, he opened Miller Hardware Co., which he operated for 26 years. In 1925, Bert Fish, a prominent local attorney and political figure who rose to become Minister to Egypt and then Portugal, acquired the building from Miller for $150,000.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for Miller-Fish Building
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the Miller-Fish Building Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand Miller-Fish Building
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.