This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand Landis-Fish Building. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Landis-Fish Building 1905 and is located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The location is 110 West Indiana Avenue. Marker is on West Indiana Avenue west of North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92), on the left when traveling west.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
Landis-Fish Building. In 1905 the Landis and Fish Law Firm erected a brick one-story Romanesque-style building on this site. As the firm grew, it was enlarged in 1925 to the two-story Federal structure you see today. Begun by Cary D. Landis and Bert Fish, the firm was noted for its distinguished clients and as a center of political influence. Landis became Attorney General of Florida, 1930-38. Fish was appointed Minister to Egypt, Saudi Arabia and then Portugal from 1933-1943. Both died in office. A later partner, Francis P. Whitehair, became Undersecretary of the Navy from 1951-1953. The law firm relocated in 1985 and continues to practice as Landis Graham French. It is now among the oldest continuous law firms in the state of Florida.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for Landis-Fish Building
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the Landis-Fish Building Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand Landis-Fish Building
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.