This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand First United Methodist Church. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
First United Methodist Church
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled First United Methodist Church 1883 , and is located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The location is 115 East Howry Avenue. Marker is on East Howry Avenue east of South Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92), on the left when traveling east.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
First United Methodist Church. The First United Methodist Church was established August 1, 1880. It was the first church organized in the new settlement of DeLand. Three years later, this building was completed for worship services. It was a simple frame structure with a bell in the steeple, stained glass windows, and a reed organ. Built at a cost of $2,600, it faced Woodland Boulevard on a site donated by J.W. Howry. In 1920 the building was moved to the rear of the property and turned at a 90° angle to provide space for the present sanctuary. Today, it serves as the narthex and overflow space. This plaque is in commemoration of the church’s 125th anniversary.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for First United Methodist Church
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you can see the First United Methodist Church Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand First United Methodist Church
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.