This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand Early Grocery Stores. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
Early Grocery Stores
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Early Grocery Stores circa 1897, and is located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The location is 142 North Woodland Boulevard. Marker is on North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92) south of Rich Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
Early Grocery Stores. Circa 1897. Although there has been a structure on this site since at least 1885, this building was erected about 1897. From the late 19th to the middle 20th century, most of DeLand’s grocery stores were located along Woodland Blvd. Bushnell, Cantrell, Conrad, Dozier, Dreka, Gregory, Haynes, Marsh, Rhodes, Santilli, Vinzant, and Woodall are a few family names associated with these stores. This site was the home of the first Stoudenmire grocery. Nothing was frozen. Meat was cut to order; produce and milk were fresh from area truck farms and dairies. Patrons could phone in their orders to be delivered to their homes. Credit was commonly extended to monthly tabs.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for Early Grocery Stores
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the Early Grocery Stores Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand Early Grocery Stores
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.