This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near DeLand Dreka Building. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Dreka Building 1882 and is located in DeLand in Volusia County, Florida. The marker is on South Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92) south of New York Avenue (State Road 44).
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
Dreka Building. On this site in 1882 George A. Dreka built his 2-story department store that later was expanded to four floors to also hold the Carrolton Hotel. In the 1886 fire that consumed much of the town, blankets were hung from the balconies and kept wet by a bucket brigade using water from a tank on the roof. In 1909 Dreka then moved the building and, for an estimated $75,000, erected the current structure designed by L M Wethers, which was the first reinforced concrete building in Volusia County. A brilliant entrepreneur, Dreka became the largest merchant in the area. His store’s slogan was “everything to eat, wear, and use.”
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for Dreka Building
Placed by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the Dreka Building Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of DeLand
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near DeLand Dreka Building
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.