Florida Historical Markers Near St. Augustine Indian Prisoners

Florida Historical Markers Near Daytona Beach The Old Kings Road

This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near Daytona Beach The Old Kings Road. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Volusia County is an excellent example.

The Old Kings Road

This Florida Historical Marker is entitled The Old Kings Road , and is located in Daytona Beach in Volusia County, Florida. Marker is on West International Speedway Boulevard (U.S. 92) west of White Street, on the right when traveling west.

Inscription on the Marker

The inscription reads:

The Old Kings Road. . Crossed north to south near this site. The English constructed this road from 1763-1773, connecting St. Augustine north to St. Mary’s River and south to New Smyrna, Florida. First originated as an Indian trail and was later improved by the Spanish. Subsequently, the industrious British improved the road to serve the East Coast plantations. The U.S. Army improved Old Kings Road after 1827.

Marker Sponsor and Install Date for The Old Kings Road

Placed by the Kiwanis Club of Daytona Beach in honor of the Nation’s Bicentennial.

Installed in 1976.

Maps & Location Views

Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.

Sometimes you will be able to see the The Old Kings Road Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.

The History of Daytona Beach

Florida Historical Markers Near Daytona Beach - The Old Kings Road

More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.

During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).

In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.

Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city

About the Florida Historical Marker Program

One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.

About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near Daytona Beach The Old Kings Road

This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.

Leave a ReplyCancel reply