This page is dedicated to Florida historical markers near Clearwater Clearwater Post Office. There are many historical markers in Florida. This marker in Pinellas County is an excellent example.
Clearwater Post Office
This Florida Historical Marker is entitled Clearwater Post Office and is located in Clearwater in Pinellas County, Florida. The location is 650 Cleveland Street. Marker is on Cleveland Street west of Northeast Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Inscription on the Marker
The inscription reads:
Clearwater Post Office. . On October 9, 1933, Clearwater’s first government post office building was dedicated on this site with Postmaster General James A. Farley officiating. The local postmaster at the time was Charles R. Lee., This Mediterranean-Revival style building was designed by Clearwater architect Theodore Skinner and built by the Palm Beach construction firm of Walt and Sinclair of Florida. It is representative of the 1930’s federal works projects, which reflected regional design influence and commissioned local professionals and industries. The exterior finish of the building is öolitic limestone quarried in the Florida Keys. The post office was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Marker Sponsor and Install Date for Clearwater Post Office
Placed by The Clearwater Historical Society in cooperation with the Department of State.
Installed in 1988.
Maps & Location Views
Using mapping services from Google, we can show detailed location maps and street views if they are available.
Sometimes you will be able to see the Clearwater Post Office Marker in Google Maps. A 360-degree view of the area near the marker is available on the link below. You can see the marker or monument and read it in many cases.
The History of Clearwater
More than a century before the Pilgrims set foot at Plymouth Rock, in 1513, Florida began its modern-day history, of which Orlando is a part.
During this period, Florida was still part of the United States Territory and not yet a state; therefore, many Native American tribes occupied land throughout Central Florida, including Seminole Indians who had migrated there from Georgia during the First Seminole War (1817-1818).
In 1838, the U.S. Army built Fort Gatlin south of the present-day Orlando City limits to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the Second Seminole War. During the Civil War, Orlando’s role included supplying the Confederacy with food, cattle, and horses from the vast plantations in the region.
Today Orlando is recognized as a global tourist attraction and entertainment city
About the Florida Historical Marker Program
One of the most well-known and noticeable public history initiatives of the Division of Historical Resources is the Florida Historical Marker Program. It is intended to increase residents’ and visitors’ enjoyment of Florida’s historic places and to increase public knowledge of the state’s rich cultural past.
About Floridamarkers.com & Florida Historical Markers Near Clearwater Clearwater Post Office
This experimental site tests the functionality and capabilities of Programmatic SEO. This site is attempting a new method that helps to improve search engine visibility by creating dedicated landing pages at a large scale. Thumbwind Publications LLC owns this site.